Free shipping within the continental United States!

Our glass and stove experts are here to help!

Call us today at 1-888-986-1535

What Size Gasket Will I Need?

What Size Gasket Will I Need?Fast Replacement Glass answers your questions!Fast Replacement Glass recommends reading your stove or fireplace owner's manual if you're unsure about which type and size (diameter) gasket you'll need for your door or window glass. For the sake of explanation, let's assume the information in your owner's manual is not clear or readily available. Let Fast Replacement Glass tell you exactly how to determine which type and size gasket you'll need!

Stove Door Gaskets
A brand new rope gasket has a circumferential shape (hence its name). Once installed and as the door is tightly closed, it is designed to flatten and fill the space between the door and the application's frame for an airtight seal.

  • Closely examine the old seal. If convenient, choose a section that does not look as worn as the rest of the gasket. Next, you'll need to measure the width and depth of the channel.
  • Using a blunt, slender tool (such as a flat head screwdriver), carefully and gently pry that section of the old seal out of the channel. You just need to pull out enough to configure the width of the channel with a ruler or tape measure.
  • Measure across the channel (in inches) and record your measurement.
  • Carefully remove any cement or adhesive residue that may remain in the channel. Once it is fairly clean, you'll need to measure the depth of the channel.
  • Measure to determine the gasket size you'll need. TemplateClick on the measurement template image to download a printable pdf. When printing, remember to print at "actual size". Do not resize the pdf. Print on cardstock. (You'll want to use a stiff paper weight, as you'll need to insert the template into the channel for a precise measurement.) 
  • Cut out the appropriate template that is the same width of the gasket channel. (For example, if your channel is 7/8 inches wide, cut out the 7/8 inch template.)
  • Next, push the edge of the template that matches the shape of the channel all the way to the bottom of the groove. (For example, if your 7/8 inc channel has a "U" shaped bottom, use the rounded edge of the 7/8 inch template. If your channel has a flat bottom, use the straight edge of the 7/8 inch template.)
  • Mark the template measurement that is level with the top of the gasket channel. Remove the template and record the measurement (in inches) from the rounded or flat edge to the mark to determine how deep the channel is. 
  • Compare the two measurements (width and depth). Always choose the largest measurement of the two so that the gasket completely fills and seals the groove.
  • If you can mold your old gasket back into a circular shape, try placing a ruler across it to measure the width. This additional measurement should give you a very specific indication of what size gasket to request.

Window Gasket
Stove manufacturers are partial to certain methods and materials for sealing the ceramic window glass in the stove door; therefore, they will vary from one model to another. Some stoves have single panes of glass, and others have double sheets. You'll need to take a look at your stove door window to determine what has been used.

  • Carefully remove the stove door and carefully place it on a cushioned surface (such as old sheets, foam, or cardboard).
  • Next, remove any framing materials from the glass to evaluate the seal that has been used around or on the edge of the glass itself.
    • Flat Gasket - black or white (5/8 inch): designed to fit around the edge of the glass so that a seal is created on both sides of the window. We recommend using a gasket cement for a secure adhesion. Sometimes referred to as channel tape.
    • Tadpole Gasket – semi-rigid foil-wrapped core w/ adhesive back (1/2 or 5/8 inch): these adhesive backed gaskets form a tight seal on one side of the window glass with its semi-rigid core. Sometimes referred to as "bulb and tail seal." The thickness of the bulb material allows rebound from compression, while the tail conforms to uneven surfaces. 
    • Tadpole Gasket – soft fiber core w/ peel & stick adhesive back (5/8 inch): these adhesive backed gaskets form a tight seal on one side of the window glass, while maintaining flexibility with its soft fiber core. Sometimes referred to as "bulb and tail seal." The thickness of the bulb material allows rebound from compression, while the tail conforms to uneven surfaces. 
    • Rope Gasket - small diameter: in some cases, the window glass is sealed with a small diameter glass rope gasket, designed for an easy fit within the channel. We have a selection of thin rope gaskets (3/16, 1/4, and  5/16 inches) to suit your stove window's specifications.

Vermont Castings Stove
In the event that you have a Vermont Castings stove, you'll need our Griddle (or Armored) gasket for the top loader portion of your appliance. This is a rope-style seal that is encased in a stainless steel mesh. The Griddle gasket only comes in one size and is compatible with all Vermont Castings stoves.

Please continue to refer to the measurement directions above for both the stove and window gaskets on your Vermont Castings heating appliance, as both the door and the glass will require a regular rope-style gasket.



Last updated on June 21st 2018.

Broke my door glass in Scan a10 wood stove (series #3523) by forcing it into much too thick rope gasket. Glass is 18 x 15 7/16 x 3/16 and has polished edge. Original gasket is 3/4” wide, thicker on the edges than on the middle so that it wraps around the edge like a taco. It is flat (now). What will your pyroceram replacement cost and do you have an appropriate gasket? An adhesive backed gasket would make installation easier.

Asked by Brian Wyssmann | 10-12-2018, 10:35 PM | 1 answer(s)

The starting prices of our glass is listed under Pyroceram Ceramic Glass. For the window we suggest the flat white 11/16 window gasket, can be found under gasket at Your FRG Support Team    

Answered by FRG Support Team | 10-13-2018, 05:37 AM
Add answer

I have a 1985 Sierra 7000-8000 the 8000 has a 6 or 9 stamped over it. I need a catalytic disc thing new ceramic glass and gaskets all around. It has 2 doors. I did the measurements with your cut out method and purchased 5/8 gaskets and they still seem too small and don’t seal tight. Do you need a template of my glass or are you familiar with this wood burning stove? The window gasket is like u shaped, no metal in it and kinda cradles the window on 3 sides and is sandwiched in the middle with a heavy brass front trim piece. Can you send me all the gaskets and window I need for the renovation of this stove?? I also need the little gaskets for the stove pipe hole piece and one for the round flat hole plug as this sucker is set up for top vent or back vent for through a fireplace. Help???

Asked by Ralph  | 09-29-2018, 03:24 AM | 1 answer(s)

We can probably get you most of the products you are looking for. Please send an email to [email protected] and one of our sales people can get back to you, or you can call us at 1-877-373-6677 during business hours. Your FRG Support Team

Answered by FRG Support Team | 09-30-2018, 03:23 AM
Add answer

I have a Squire wood stove with 2 glass doors. Typically I burn 3- 6 cords of wood per season. The stove is more than 30 years old and I believe Squire is out of business. What size gasket do I need to seal around the glass? Thanks

Asked by Wayne Avery | 08-08-2018, 04:29 PM | 1 answer(s)

We would suggest on of our flat window gaskets found in the gasket section. That should do the trick and get you up and running. Your FDO Support Team  

Answered by FDO Support Team | 08-09-2018, 04:17 AM
Add answer

I have a Dutchwest woodstove which I understand to be made by Vermont Castings. Are the gaskets used the same? Thanks!

Asked by Darren Campeau | 04-18-2018, 05:55 AM | 1 answer(s)

Yes, gaskets are the same for most stoves. Your FDO Support Team

Answered by FDO Support Team | 05-09-2018, 04:24 AM
Add answer

I have a Sedley woodstove (2 doors, no glass) and I noticed I could see fire glowing around the doors when walking by it in the dark now. I looked - no gasket on doors, no “channel” - but there is an area that could mean a gasket was there. Can I send a photo? We got this used and its very old. My wood burns up in 4 hrs now which is why I started questions/research. Thank u!

Asked by Anne Perkins | 12-10-2017, 01:58 PM | 1 answer(s)

We would suggest to using one of our adhesive gasket tapes (also known as tadpole gaskets). Check them out under our Gaskets category!

Answered by FRG Support Team | 12-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Add answer

How do I know which replacement flue damper I need for my Dovre 2000?

Asked by Nick Best | 08-31-2017, 05:50 AM | 1 answer(s)

We're sorry - we do not sell any flue dampers for a Dovre 2000 stove. We only sell combustors, gaskets and replacement glass.

Answered by FDO Support Team | 09-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Add answer