Free shipping within the
continental United States!

Phone Hours
Mon - Fri: 9:00am - 5:00pm EST

What Size Wood Stove Door Gasket Replacement Do I Need?

What Size Gasket Will I Need?Fast Replacement Glass answers your questions!We can tell you exactly how to determine which size and style high temperature gasket material you'll need! Fast Replacement Glass recommends reading your stove or fireplace owner's manual if you're unsure about which type and size (diameter) wood stove gasket you'll need for your door or window glass. For the sake of explanation, let's assume the information in your manual is not clear or readily available.

Wood Stove Door Gasket Replacement
A brand new rope gasket has a circumferential shape (hence its name). Once installed and as the door is tightly closed, it is designed to flatten and fill the space between the door and the application's frame for an airtight seal.

If you don't obtain the correct size, you will not get a good seal, therefore reducing your heating application's efficiency. Here's what you need to do in order to determine the correct size:

  • Closely examine the old seal. If convenient, choose a section that does not look as worn as the rest of the gasket. Next, you'll need to measure the width and depth of the channel.
  • Using a blunt, slender tool (such as a flat head screwdriver), carefully and gently pry that section of the old seal out of the channel. You just need to pull out enough to configure the width of the channel with a ruler or tape measure (figure on approximately 2 inches of gasket).
  • Measure across the channel (in inches) and record your measurement.
  • Carefully remove any cement or adhesive residue that may remain in the channel. Once it is fairly clean, you'll need to measure the depth of the channel.
  • Measure to determine the gasket size you'll need. TemplateClick on the measurement template image on the right to view and print the pdf measuring tool, or CLICK HERE. When printing, remember to print at "actual size". Do not resize the pdf or the rulers on the page will no longer be to scale! We recommend printing on cardstock or a stiff paper weight. You'll need to insert the template into the channel for a precise measurement and regular paper will crinkle or tear.  
  • Cut out the template that is the same width of your gasket channel. (For example, if your channel is 7/8 inches wide, cut out the 7/8 inch template.)
  • Next, push the end of the template that matches the shape of the channel all the way to the bottom of the groove. (For example, if your 7/8 inc channel has a "U" shaped bottom, use the rounded end of the 7/8 inch template. If your channel has a flat bottom, use the straight end of the 7/8 inch template.)
  • Mark the template measurement that is level with the top of the gasket channel. Remove the template and record the measurement (in inches) from the rounded or flat end to your mark. This determines how deep your channel is. 
  • Compare the two measurements (width and depth). Which one is larger? Choose the largest measurement of the two so that your new replacement gasket will completely fill and seal the channel.
  • If you can mold your old gasket back into a circular shape, try placing a ruler across it to measure the width. This additional measurement should give you a very specific indication of what size diameter to request.
  • Do you have a Vermont Castings Stove? You'll need our Griddle (or Armored) gasket for the top loader portion of your appliance. This is a rope-style seal that is encased in a stainless steel mesh. The Griddle gasket only comes in one size and is compatible with all Vermont Castings stoves.
  • It is a good idea to order one additional foot beyond your final measurements in case of a miscalculation.

Wood Stove Glass Gasket

Stove manufacturers are partial to certain methods and materials for sealing the ceramic window glass in the stove door. Therefore, they will vary from one model to another. Some stoves have single panes of glass, and others have double sheets. You'll need to take a look at your stove door window to determine what has been used.

Carefully remove the stove door and carefully place it on a cushioned surface (such as old sheets, foam, or cardboard). Next, remove any framing materials from the glass to evaluate the seal that has been used around or on the edge of the glass itself. Identify your gasket using the following descriptions:

  • Fiberglass Rope Gasket: in the case that you have a rope gasket, use the measuring guidelines above to determine the size and thickness needed for the window channel. In the case that your stove model uses a small diameter glass rope gasket, we have a selection of thin rope gaskets in 3/16, 1/4, and  5/16 inch to suit your stove glass window.
  • Wood Stove Door Gasket Kit with Adhesive: We carry kits that include pre-cut rope gaskets in an variety of thicknesses and lengths, along with a 2 fluid ounce bottle of our high temperature adhesive. Don't need the bonding agent? No problem! We carry door and glass gaskets kits for Vermont Castings and Old Dutchwest models.
  • Vermont Castings Stove door and glass: Please refer to the measurement directions above for both the stove door and window gaskets on your Vermont Castings heating appliance, as both the door and the glass will require a regular rope-style gasket.
  • Flat Gasket (black or white, 5/8 inch): designed to fit around the edge of the glass so that a seal is created on both sides of the window. We recommend using a gasket cement for a secure adhesion. Sometimes referred to as channel tape.
  • Semi-Rigid Tadpole Gasket (1/2 or 5/8 inch): these high temperature, adhesive backed gaskets form a tight seal on one side of the window glass with its semi-rigid foil wrapped core. Sometimes referred to as "bulb and tail seal." The thickness of the bulb material allows rebound from compression, while the tail conforms to uneven surfaces.
  • Soft Core Tadpole Gasket (5/8 inch): these adhesive backed gaskets form a tight seal on one side of the window glass, while maintaining flexibility with its soft fiber core. Sometimes referred to as "bulb and tail seal." The thickness of the bulb material allows rebound from compression, while the tail conforms to uneven surfaces.

For rope style gaskets, please refer to the measurement directions & template above. For flat tape-style gaskets, measure the total dimensions for your door or glass channel to determine how much length you will need. For tadpole gaskets, measure the width of your door or window channel, as well as the total dimensions, to determine which particular gasket you will need. It is a good idea to order one additional foot beyond your final measurements in case of a miscalculation.

Catalytic Combustor Gaskets

We carry those as well! Also known as interam gaskets, these slim 1/16 inch wraps are available by the foot and can be used with both round and rectangular catalytic combustors. Its universal design helps to seat your combustor properly within the chamber. Gold flecks of mica are embedded into the spongy material which expand when heated. This gasket should be replaced when you are changing out your combustor.

CLICK HERE to view our products! To determine how much gasket you need, measure the diameter of your round combustor or the total of all four sides of your rectangular combustor, then add one additional foot for possible miscalculations.



Last updated on October 11th 2023.

Hello - we have an old Dovre 1800 woodburner .. we have the 4 new glass panels ready, what size door seal and glass tape would we need to order, please

Asked by carol Bampton | 01-23-2019, 11:36 AM | 1 answer(s)

We have no records of this stove. We have however a section on what size gasket do i need. You can also download a pdf to test out some sizes.

Answered by FDO Support Team | 01-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Add answer

I have a Godin 3720 that has (had) some sort of flat gasket around the door. Any idea what that was and so you guys carry that sort of gasket ... Thank you

Asked by David K. Steele | 01-17-2019, 10:47 AM | 1 answer(s)

We sell some flat window gasket on our sister site

Answered by FDO Support Team | 01-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Add answer

I have a 1980 Condor catalytic, two doors that open from middle. The door is sealed with tadpole gasket, inserted on the face of the stove. I need to replace,and think will need the 5/8 inch bulb, 8 ft. Do U have ? The stove was made by Roper corp,serial no CC105676 Euro Design, Warwick RI.

Asked by Donald Hockhalter | 01-02-2019, 08:24 PM | 1 answer(s)

If you click at the gasket section on there you will find the tadpole gasket we offer.

Answered by FDO Support Team | 01-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Add answer

I have a logwood stove model 4821. I don't have a manual. What size rope gaskets do I need in order to replace the old ones.

Asked by joe ford | 12-31-2018, 10:49 PM | 1 answer(s)

We don't have any manuals to any stove. As far as the gasket goes. There is an entire section on What Size Gasket Do I Need. There you can also download a template to cut out and see what size fits in the grooves.

Answered by FDO Support Team | 01-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Add answer

I recently bought a used stove it is a Lilly hearth wood or coal stove I got a new seal for the door it is a double door only one of the doors has seal in it I am wondering if both doors gets new seal or on the one

Asked by Clayton  | 12-30-2018, 03:06 AM | 1 answer(s)

We are not familiar with this wood stove and it also seems that this stove is not EPA approved. We really recommend to upgrade to a EPA approved wood stove.

Answered by FDO Support Team | 12-31-2018, 09:11 AM
Add answer

We have a Mohoning Outdoor Furnance. We need to replace the 22'' x 22'' firebox door gasket. What size do we need thank you in advance

Asked by Dave Perri | 11-24-2018, 03:53 PM | 1 answer(s)

We always recommend to use what the owners manual suggests. It could be the 1" round we offer. On each gasket page there is as well a pdf you can print, that you then can cut and see which gasket could work for your unit  

Answered by FRG Support Team | 11-25-2018, 03:45 AM
Add answer

What size replacement gasket for a Big Moe?

Asked by Joy | 11-16-2018, 06:21 PM | 1 answer(s)

That's a good question, we have a guide you can download on each gasket page, that should help you determine what size you would need. Your FRG Support Team

Answered by FRG Support Team | 11-17-2018, 05:48 AM
Add answer

Broke my door glass in Scan a10 wood stove (series #3523) by forcing it into much too thick rope gasket. Glass is 18 x 15 7/16 x 3/16 and has polished edge. Original gasket is 3/4” wide, thicker on the edges than on the middle so that it wraps around the edge like a taco. It is flat (now). What will your pyroceram replacement cost and do you have an appropriate gasket? An adhesive backed gasket would make installation easier.

Asked by Brian Wyssmann | 10-12-2018, 10:35 PM | 1 answer(s)

The starting prices of our glass is listed under Pyroceram Ceramic Glass. For the window we suggest the flat white 11/16 window gasket, can be found under gasket at Your FRG Support Team    

Answered by FRG Support Team | 10-13-2018, 05:37 AM
Add answer

I have a 1985 Sierra 7000-8000 the 8000 has a 6 or 9 stamped over it. I need a catalytic disc thing new ceramic glass and gaskets all around. It has 2 doors. I did the measurements with your cut out method and purchased 5/8 gaskets and they still seem too small and don’t seal tight. Do you need a template of my glass or are you familiar with this wood burning stove? The window gasket is like u shaped, no metal in it and kinda cradles the window on 3 sides and is sandwiched in the middle with a heavy brass front trim piece. Can you send me all the gaskets and window I need for the renovation of this stove?? I also need the little gaskets for the stove pipe hole piece and one for the round flat hole plug as this sucker is set up for top vent or back vent for through a fireplace. Help???

Asked by Ralph  | 09-29-2018, 03:24 AM | 1 answer(s)

We can probably get you most of the products you are looking for. Please send an email to and one of our sales people can get back to you, or you can call us at 1-877-373-6677 during business hours. Your FRG Support Team

Answered by FRG Support Team | 09-30-2018, 03:23 AM
Add answer

I have a Squire wood stove with 2 glass doors. Typically I burn 3- 6 cords of wood per season. The stove is more than 30 years old and I believe Squire is out of business. What size gasket do I need to seal around the glass? Thanks

Asked by Wayne Avery | 08-08-2018, 04:29 PM | 1 answer(s)

We would suggest on of our flat window gaskets found in the gasket section. That should do the trick and get you up and running. Your FDO Support Team  

Answered by FDO Support Team | 08-09-2018, 04:17 AM
Add answer

I have a Dutchwest woodstove which I understand to be made by Vermont Castings. Are the gaskets used the same? Thanks!

Asked by Darren Campeau | 04-18-2018, 05:55 AM | 1 answer(s)

Yes, gaskets are the same for most stoves. Your FDO Support Team

Answered by FDO Support Team | 05-09-2018, 04:24 AM
Add answer

I have a Sedley woodstove (2 doors, no glass) and I noticed I could see fire glowing around the doors when walking by it in the dark now. I looked - no gasket on doors, no “channel” - but there is an area that could mean a gasket was there. Can I send a photo? We got this used and its very old. My wood burns up in 4 hrs now which is why I started questions/research. Thank u!

Asked by Anne Perkins | 12-10-2017, 01:58 PM | 1 answer(s)

We would suggest to using one of our adhesive gasket tapes (also known as tadpole gaskets). Check them out under our Gaskets category!

Answered by FRG Support Team | 12-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Add answer

How do I know which replacement flue damper I need for my Dovre 2000?

Asked by Nick Best | 08-31-2017, 05:50 AM | 1 answer(s)

We're sorry - we do not sell any flue dampers for a Dovre 2000 stove. We only sell combustors, gaskets and replacement glass.

Answered by FDO Support Team | 09-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Add answer